Turbulent SkiesBack to Televisie
- DirectorJoram Lürsen
- ReleaseOctober 2020
- ProducerTopkapi Series
Idse Grotenhuis, Arnold Heslenfeld, Frans van Gestel, Laurette Schillings
- Visual effects supervisorsAlbert van Vuure, NVX
Dennis Kleyn, NVX
- VFX production supervisorDennis Kleyn, NVX
- 3D supervisorJasper Scheepbouwer
- CompositingRoel Meijering
- VFX producerViolette Kleyn
- Dynamics & FXChris Klinkhamer
- Inhouse data wranglerRuud Vreman
- External aviation advisorRonnie Olsthoorn
- Title designPlanet X Title Design
- ReleaseFall 2020
- Running time8 x 50 min
- Formatshot on Arri Mini, 4K
- D.O.P.Mark van Aller, NSC
- EditorPeter Alderliesten, NCE
- FacilityStorm Post Production
- GradingTom Mulder
- Music reel/clipMerlijn Snitker
As founders of the Dutch aviation, idealist Albert Plesman and opportunist Anthony Fokker, are inextricably bound together. They cannot live with or without each other. During the interwar period and in spite of their differences, they pull off setting up civil aviation in the Netherlands, when the world is heading for a new war.
Planet X is excited to work on the many historical airplanes and locations this unique production requires. With the aid of external advisors, our team will focus on the creation of countless complex airplane assets that Fokker designed and created between 1924 and 1939.
Heavy on demanding photoreal CG, the production involves extensive R&D for both historical accuracy as well as (aero)dynamics for all 3D assets.
Follow this page for regular updates on the VFX progress for Turbulent Skies.
Visual effects in progress
VFX breakdown reel highlighting, among other things, the R&D process to explore possibilities of replacing a modern-day airplane by a 3D CG airplane, allowing the DOP to frame, follow and focus on something physical, instead of shooting empty plates for the same purpose.
Full CG test
A full CG test of a Fokker F.VII which verifies model, textures, shading, light and dynamics.