Layla M.Back to Feature films
- DirectorMijke de Jong
- ProducerTopkapi Films
Frans van Gestel, Arnold Heslenfeld
- Visual effects supervisorsStefan Rycken
Dennis Kleyn, NVX
- VFX artistsWalid Ben Henda
- VFX producerKatrijn Steylaerts
- Title designPlanet X Title Design
- ReleaseNovember 2016, The Netherlands
- Running time98 min
- Formatshot on Arri Alexa, afwerking HD
- D.O.P.Danny Elsen, NSC, SBC
- EditorDorith Vinken, NCE
- FacilityThe Post Republic Berlin
- GradingPeter Bernaers
- Music reel/clipAlexander Desplat, 'Ammar' from the OST 'Zero Dark Thirty'
18-year-old Layla, a Dutch girl with Moroccan roots, joins a group of radical Muslims. She encounters a world that nurtures her ideas initially, but finally confronts her with an impossible choice.
Planet X created numerous VFX for the film, including screens for TV's, adding more background signs during a protest and a full CG helicopter which appears above a neighborhood to quell a demonstration.
3D CG police helicopter
A police helicopter appearing above a city's neighborhood couldn't be realiased in real life, so the choice was made to create a fully digital 3D (CG) model of the aircraft. Dust and debris was added to create a more convincing result.
Furthermore, Layla M. has been selected as the Dutch entry for the 2018 Academy Awards.
Other examples of visual effects for Layla M. include alterations of backgrounds and environments. The shot shown was taken in Jordan, but has to look like a different country in the Middle East.